Hello Student,

Use the below to apply for easy, fast financial assistance to help pay for your education. The list seems daunting at first but take your time, starting with the FAFSA, then moving on to your Tribal Education office resources, the American Indian College Fund website, and our own internal/external scholarships here at KBOCC we offer. 

First start with your FAFSA, for maximum aid consideration and to help ensure your aid is in place by the time tuition is due, please file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid annually. Apply annually for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at

Open both links below in separate windows. If you live with your parents, you may need a parent nearby for a few questions.

When you apply for the FAFSA, you are applying for the following PELL, FSEOG, and work-study. Your one application submits for all three of the below!

  • Federal Pell Grant (Pell) 
    • Pell is designed to help needy undergraduate students pay for their educational costs. For many students, it provides a foundation of financial aid to which other forms of federal and non-federal aid may be added. Pell is a grant entitlement program and does not require repayment as long as the student completes the period in which it was awarded. Eligibility for Pell is determined by the Department of Education (DoED). Funding for the academic year is based on the student’s cost of attendance (COA), expected family contribution (EFC), and enrollment status. Students must re-apply for a Federal Pell Grant each academic year. 
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)  
    • FSEOG is awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Eligible students have the lowest EFCs as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) who have not yet earned a baccalaureate degree. The DoED determines the amount of FSEOG funds awarded to the College each year. The Financial Aid Office is responsible for awarding the funds allocated to KBOCC to students.  
  • Federal Work-Study (FWS)  
    • Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time employment to students attending institutions of higher education who need the earnings to help meet their costs of postsecondary education. The DoED determines the annual funding allocated to KBOCC for work-study. The Financial Aid Office is responsible for awarding work-study funding to eligible students. 

Second, apply at your local Tribal Education Office and Veterans Office. *Skip if your nonnative. 

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant Program (BIA) 

  • Native American students who are enrolled members of a federally recognized tribe may receive aid from the Bureau of Indian Affairs. To be considered for this grant, students must contact their tribal education offices for a BIA Scholarship Application and to learn about other specific eligibility requirements and deadlines.

Veterans Assistance 

  • Veterans Affairs educational benefits are available to students who are eligible veterans or military family members. 
  • As determined by the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community (KBIC) Education Director, eligible KBIC members are considered for funding to help with the cost of books and supplies. Amounts vary based on course enrollment status as determined by KBIC.  

Third, apply for the American Indian College Fund scholarships which are intended for students attending a Tribal College!

  • TCU Scholarship Program - A TWO PART APPLICATION
    • Awards for Native and Nonnative Students
    • Any KBOCC students who maintain 2.0 GPAs may be eligible for Fall and Spring semester scholarships. Recipients and award amounts will be chosen based on financial need and individual scholarship requirements. Deadlines will be posted each semester.
    • Digital photograph and release of the informed consent form (available in Financial Aid Office)
    • PART ONE - Scholarship applicants must also create/update the American Indian College Fund (AICF) Profile and submit an AICF Application via the AICF website
    • PART TWO - Filling the New Online Scholarship app for KBOCC
  • Full Circle Scholarship Program 
    • Native students and descendants can be considered for special scholarships as determined by the American Indian College Fund. Each scholarship has different requirements based on GPA, essay, and need. All students are encouraged to apply for the upcoming year; the annual deadline for applying is May 31st.
Fourth, apply for our institution's specific scholarship opportunities. Apply using the new online form or downloading the PDF copy by clicking on the titles below and emailing it to Due dates will be posted near the beginning of each semester.
KBOCC Family Scholarship  KBOCC is offering one free class to all KBIC tribal members, tribal descendants, and children of KBOCC or KBIC employees.
      • Must complete an application and required documents
      • Must be an enrolled member or tribal descendants of the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community or must be a child of KBOCC or KBIC employee.
      • Must fill out the FAFSA

Elder Scholarship 

      • Students age 62 or older who are not eligible for other sources of financial aid will be eligible for a tuition scholarship through KBOCC for one course per semester. To show eligibility for this scholarship, students should submit an Elder Financial Aid Application and provide proof of age. 
      • Must be a student age 62 or older who is not eligible for other sources of financial aid.

Timothy W. Shanahan Memorial Scholarship 

    • The Timothy W. Shanahan Memorial Scholarship was created in memory of a dear friend who dedicated sixteen years of service as Chairman of the Board of Regents for Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College. One student will be awarded this competition-based scholarship in recognition of creative, outstanding, and positive impact on the community and commitment to excellence. 
    • List organizations you participate in or volunteer for within the community
    • Two letters of recommendation
    • An essay (1000 word maximum) describing your career goals, community involvement, and how your education will impact the community

The Financial Aid Office distributes any other scholarships designated specifically for KBOCC students as they are made available. To learn about these opportunities, check the KBOCC scholarship bulletin board or visit the Financial Aid Office. 

  • Spirit of Sovereignty Scholarship  Established by the Native American Indian Gaming Association (NIGA) as an avenue to give back to tribal communities.
    • Tribal verification
    • List activities, volunteer, or community involvement
    • A short biography (500-word max), please address: Your career and educational goals, include any obstacles you may have overcome in attaining; How a scholarship will help you reach these goals; How your education will impact the native community
    • Digital photograph and release of the informed consent form (available in Financial Aid Office)
  • Hemlock Scholarship for Environmental Science Majors
    • Submit an unofficial KBOCC transcript along with a one-page essay explaining why you should be considered for this scholarship.
    • Discuss any financial hardships as well as the positive impacts of your college experiences and future plans upon completing an Environmental Science degree.

Fifth, KBOCC now offers three FREE tuition waiver programs:

    • Exercise the tangible result of your treaty rights.

      To be eligible for the MITW, you must meet the following criteria:

      • Qualify for admission at one of Michigan's public colleges or universities AND
      • Be ¼ or more Native American blood quantum as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department AND
      • Are an enrolled citizen of a U.S. Federally Recognized Tribe as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department AND
      • Be a legal resident of the state of Michigan for not less than 12 consecutive months. 
      • MITW can be used by any new, returning, high school, dually enrolled, and/or guest student for any education degree or certificate track that charges tuition for unlimited use. 

      • STUDENT SECTION: Student fills out their portion of the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) Application. FORM CLICK HERE.
        • New Student - Fill out this section if you have never applied for the MITW.
        • Current Student - Fill out this section if you already applied for the MITW and need to update anything.
      • DOCUMENTATION with your MITW application:
        • A photocopy of your Michigan Driver’s License or State-issued Michigan ID card AND
        • A photocopy of your Tribal ID.
      • TRIBAL EDUCATION OFFICE SECTION: Send the MITW application (and attached documentation) to your Tribal Enrollment Department for certification.
      • MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW UP WITH YOUR TRIBE: to ensure your application is complete and handed into the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.
    • Waivers are for any credit, any degree track, certificate, and/or program. There is no limit on how many times you use.
    • There is no deadline, however, you must use the waiver in the semester your enrolled.
    • For more information view the Michigan Department of Civil Rights website
    • Review their Frequently Asked Questions document.

Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

  • The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) encourages eligible Medicaid recipients to complete high school by providing tuition assistance during an eligible student’s qualifying certificate or associate degree program and also during the student’s bachelor’s degree program.
  • These two periods of assistance are referred to as ‘Phase I’ and ‘Phase II'.
  • TIP Fact Sheet
    • Eligibility
      • Student must have (or have had) Medicaid coverage for 24 months within a 36-consecutive month period between the ages of nine and high school graduation.
      • Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
      • Obtain a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent prior to age 20.
        • Students who attend a state-approved Early/Middle College have until age 21 to graduate and complete a TIP application.
      • Begin using TIP at a participating institution within four years of high school completion.
      • Be a Michigan resident as determined by institutional criteria.
      • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or approved refugee.
      • Not be in default on a Federal student loan.
      • Be enrolled at least half-time.
      • For renewal, must meet institution’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.
    • Note: The first institution listed on the FAFSA will be considered the priority school. Students are responsible for notifying MI Student Aid of a change in their college choice. This can be done through the MiSSG Student Portal or by calling 1-888-447-2687.

Michigan Reconnect

    • Eligibility 
      • Be at least 25 years old when you apply
      • Have lived in Michigan for a year or more
      • Have a high school diploma or equivalent
      • Have not yet completed a college degree (associate or bachelor's)
    • Note: If you live within a community college district and attend your local college, tuition is free. If you don't live in a community college district or choose to attend a college in Michigan that considers you to be out-of-district, you will need to pay the difference between their 'in-district' and 'out-of-district' tuition rates.


All KBOCC Scholarship Flyers.pdf

KBOCC2020ScholarshipFlyer (1).pdf