Welcome to KBOCC Online Financial Aid Office. We are excited to have you here and want you to know that we recognize the important role our office plays to you and your family in your decision to pursue your higher educational endeavors. We are here to assist you with the process of applying for and receiving financial aid; provide quality service; and offer personal guidance to you. Whether you are applying for grants, tribal assistance, or other outside scholarships, we are here for you. Please stop by our office and we will be glad to assist you.









STEP 1:  Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
You must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). For faster processing, apply online at studentaid.gov. Our school code is 041647. You will need to create an FSA ID, a username and password combination that allows you to complete the FAFSA online. The FSA ID is your electronic signature to process and make corrections to your application. For a dependent student, a parent will also need to get an FSA ID.


When you apply for the FAFSA, your ONE application submits for all THREE of the programs below!

  • Federal Pell Grant (Pell) 
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)  

STEP 2: Admissions

You must be accepted for Admissions to attend Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College. Find out how to apply in the Admissions Office


STEP 3: Tribal Education Programs

Financial assistance for tribal members wishing to pursue post-secondary education is available through individual tribal education departments. To apply, contact your tribal education director for an application and program guidelines.

KBIC Tribal Members

STEP 4: American Indian College Fund

The American Indian College Fund scholarships and grants are an integral part of the financial aid package at Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College and are for ANY student attending a Tribal College/University. The Financial Aid Office posts information regarding the AICF Grants/Scholarships at the beginning of each semester and the student is responsible for filling out the application online using the American Indian College Fund Student Login

Click here to review the Reflection Questions assigned in your scholarship application

STEP 5: Institutional Scholarships

Apply for our institution's specific scholarship opportunities. Apply by clicking on the titles below. Due dates will be posted near the beginning of each semester.

Fifth, KBOCC now offers three FREE tuition waiver programs:

    • Exercise the tangible result of your treaty rights.

      • STUDENT SECTION: Student fills out their portion of the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) Application. FORM CLICK HERE. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdcr/MITWAppFinal-10-2018_637599_7.pdf
        • New Student - Fill out this section if you have never applied for the MITW.
        • Current Student - Fill out this section if you already applied for the MITW and need to update anything.
      • DOCUMENTATION with your MITW application:
        • A photocopy of your Michigan Driver’s License or State-issued Michigan ID card AND
        • A photocopy of your Tribal ID.
      • TRIBAL EDUCATION OFFICE SECTION: Send the MITW application (and attached documentation) to your Tribal Enrollment Department for certification.
      • MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW UP WITH YOUR TRIBE: to ensure your application is complete and handed into the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.
    • Waivers are for any credit, any degree track, certificate, and/or program. There is no limit on how many times you use.
    • There is no deadline, however, you must use the waiver in the semester your enrolled.
    • For more information view the Michigan Department of Civil Rights website  https://www.michigan.gov/mdcr/.
    • Review their Frequently Asked Questions document.

Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

  • The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) encourages eligible Medicaid recipients to complete high school by providing tuition assistance during an eligible student’s qualifying certificate or associate degree program and also during the student’s bachelor’s degree program.
  • These two periods of assistance are referred to as ‘Phase I’ and ‘Phase II'.
  • TIP Fact Sheet
    • Note: The first institution listed on the FAFSA will be considered the priority school. Students are responsible for notifying MI Student Aid of a change in their college choice. This can be done through the MiSSG Student Portal or by calling 1-888-447-2687.

Michigan Reconnect

    • Note: If you live within a community college district and attend your local college, tuition is free. If you don't live in a community college district or choose to attend a college in Michigan that considers you to be out-of-district, you will need to pay the difference between their 'in-district' and 'out-of-district' tuition rates.






Admission Status Affects Financial Aid Eligibility

Regular or New Admission 

  • Student must have an official high school or GED transcript on file. 


  • Students must have official transcripts from the previous institutions on file.  
  • Satisfactory degree progress will be affected by the number of credits transferred into an eligible program. 

Non-degree Seeking Students/ Advanced Secondary Students/ Guest Students

  • Not eligible for Federal Student Aid. 

Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for Federal Financial Aid

  • Be admitted to an eligible program of study (degree program)  
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress  
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen  
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required (see www.sss.gov for more information)  
  • Must not owe the U.S. Department of Education a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal education loan  
  • Must not have any drug convictions or must meet the eligibility criteria of the drug conviction worksheet  
  • Have a valid social security number 

To maintain eligibility, students must successfully complete a minimum percentage of their required degree credits (see below). Students earning an associate’s degree must complete the minimum credits listed in the catalog and may receive funding for up to 150% of the average credits (typically about 93 credits). Students will not receive financial aid for credits exceeding 93 credits unless an extension due to special circumstances has been approved by the Financial Aid Office.

Changing Degree Programs or Additional Degrees

If a student changes degree programs or graduates and requests a second degree, his or her transcript will be evaluated by the Dean of Instruction and the new advisor to determine what portion of the requirements for the new program has been satisfied. The student may be eligible for Federal Aid provided that the student has not yet received a higher degree. 

Students can attempt a maximum of 93 credits, which is approximately the equivalent of two associate’s degree programs, utilizing Federal Student Aid if eligible.







If the financial funds applied to your bill is more than your charges for the semester, an overage check will be issued to you. The Bursar Billing Office bursar@kbocc.edu handles ALL billing and overage checks, not financial aid, we just award money, billing processes the funds. 
Step 1 - ALWAYS CHECK YOUR STUDENT ACCOUNTS BILLING STATEMENT. The statement you will be able to see your Bill and Awards (after the are applied): student portal > Student Records > Billing Statement
Step 2 - REVIEW YOUR AWARDS. If your awards aren't applied yet to your Billing Statement you can see your award by: student portal > Student Records > Financial Aid Awards.
Step 3 - Subtract the Bill from the Awards, if there is a left over, you will receive that as a check for personal use either by mail or in-person pickup. If you live in Baraga County, the mailed check typically only takes one day to reach your mail box. 
Step 4 - This is why it is so important to apply for all the aid you can and making sure to attend the Financial Aid workshops. ANYONE Native or Non-native can fund their education if they do the work and APPLY. As long as you applied for aid and all your financial aid paperwork has been completed and reviewed, then your aid can be disbursed into your account on time.
AGAIN, email Michelle Bianco, bursar@kbocc.edu for in-person pickup! Or to update your address, if you do not pick them up they will go in the mail.




For Billing questions, see your portal for billing statements, transcripts, and awards or email Billing at bursar@kbocc.edu.
Financial Aid Office deals primarily in awarding and for awarding questions, email financialaid@kbocc.edu.
Now as for your bill, the norm at most community colleges is to disburse funds in two portions.
The first portion called "First Disbursement" is at the 3-week mark (which is also when your bill is posted) and covers most of your bill. The "Second Disbursement" is your second half of your awards and covers the remaining of the bill, then the rest that is left over results in an overage. The Second disbursement is mid-way through the semester, during week 9. We award in two rounds for retention purposes to make sure you stay in school. 

Your online billing statement from KBOCC is now available.

You may access this statement via the KBOCC Student Portal http://my.kbocc.edu/ics.   Once you have accessed the portal, students may access their statement by clicking student billing, then clicking "view my course/fee statement”.

KBOCC offers the following payment options:

  • Credit Card:  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover (convenience fee)
  • If you would prefer to pay via check, please print a copy of your bill and mail it along with your check to:
    • Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College
    • Attn: Michelle Bianco
    • 770 N Main St
    • L’Anse, MI  49946

If you have any questions regarding your billing statement, please contact Michelle Bianco, KBOCC Bursar/Registrar, M-F 8-4:30 at 906-524-8306.

For financial aid/scholarship inquiries please contact Dalene Chosa, KBOCC Financial Aid Director, M-F 8-4:30 at 906-524-8109.




FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and covers all PELL, FESOG, and Workstudy funding.


One in every three financial aid applications is randomly chosen for verification by the Central Processing System. Students whose applications were selected have a ‘*’ indicator following their expected family contribution (EFC) on their institutional student information records (ISIRs). KBOCC will verify all ISIRs flagged for verification. Students may also be selected for verification by the Financial Aid Office if conflicting information is suspected.

The following information must be verified:

  • Household size – Verification worksheet 
  • Number enrolled in college – Verification worksheet 
  • Adjusted gross income (AGI) – IRS Tax Return Transcript 
  • U.S. income tax paid – IRS Tax Return Transcript 
  • Untaxed income and benefits – W2s or proof from the appropriate agency 
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits –a copy of the card or appropriate documentation 
  • Child support paid or received

The Financial Aid Office will send students whose applications were chosen an initial letter indicating that they were chosen and listing the required documentation.  

Students will be given 30 days to submit:

  • Verification Worksheet
  • Student/Spouse/Parent IRS Tax Return Transcripts (if applicable) 
  • Proof of SNAP benefits

In some cases, other documents may be required. Common examples include but are not limited to: 

  • Driver’s License
  • IRS W2s from employers 
  • Proof of separation or divorce 
  • Proof of Selective Service registration 
  • Social Security Card 
  • Tribal ID and Blood Quantum (Jay Treaty Students) 
  • National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS) default resolution

Applicants not selected for verification 

Students whose applications were not selected for verification may still be required to submit documentation. If there is reason to believe that any information on the application used to calculate the EFC is discrepant or inaccurate (or if any supporting documentation is discrepant or inaccurate), the applicant will be required to provide adequate documentation to resolve the conflict.

Applicants selected for verification  

Students whose applications were selected for verification are required to complete a verification worksheet and submit requested documents within 30 days. Students are responsible for obtaining documents to verify that all comment codes (C Codes) on their ISIRs are resolved. All verifications will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office. 

Other applicant information received by the school  

All information on file in any College department will be used for verification whether the student was selected for verification or not. 

Conflicting Information 

If verification documents contain conflicting information, student aid will be suspended immediately until the conflict is resolved. If an overpayment is discovered, the student will be notified and the Financial Aid Director will conduct an investigation to determine liability. Repayment of Title IV funds will be made initially by KBOCC through G5, the U.S. Department of Education’s grant management system. If found liable, the student will be given 30 days to repay before further action is taken. The Director has the right to verify and file that a student failed to provide requested documentation.

Examples of conflicting information which requires resolution include: 

A student was not selected for verification; however, her tax return is on file and information conflicts with items on the FAFSA. 

  • IRS 1040 shows a parent as single head of household and the FAFSA/ISIR shows the same person as married.  

  • Parent or student reported on the FAFSA and signed a verification worksheet that he will not file an IRS 1040. However, the amount of reported income is greater than the minimum amount required to file as indicated in the instructions provided on the IRS 1040. 

  • Statements or information that suggests that the copy of the Income Tax Return submitted is not the return actually filed with the IRS. 

  • Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits verified by the certifying official in the Enrollment Coordinator’s Office don’t match the FAFSA.  

  • Admissions information received affects student eligibility (i.e., student accepted into a non-degree program, student received scholarship from high school, etc.) 

  • A student’s academic progress or enrollment status on file in the Financial Aid Office doesn’t agree with the information from the Enrollment Office. 

Fraud and Abuse 

Fraud is the intent to deceive as opposed to a mistake. Suspected fraud or abuse should be reported to the Financial Aid Office or the Business Office. These offices will consult with the College’s legal counsel prior to referring a report of fraud or abuse for investigation to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) of the Department of Education or any agency outside the school. 

When making a referral for investigation, all credible information indicating that an applicant for Title IV may have engaged in fraud or other criminal conduct will be provided. In addition, any third party who may have engaged in fraud, breach of fiduciary responsibility, or other illegal conduct involving Federal Student Aid (FSA) Programs will be reported for investigation. 

OIG Address and Phone Numbers 

Office of Inspector General 

U.S. Department of Education 

400 Maryland Avenue SW 

Washington, DC 20202-1510 


Regional Offices Telephone No. National Hotline 

Denver, CO (303) 844-0058 


OIG referrals 

34 CFR 668.16(g) 

IRS Publication 17 


After the drop/add period, students can withdraw (or be administratively withdrawn) from courses or from the College altogether. Financial aid recipients who completely withdraw (or are withdrawn) or cease attendance from a term prior to the 60% point of that term are subject to the Return To Title IV fund rules for any federal aid not earned, according to the provisions of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998. 

Earned grant aid will be configured by the date the student began the formal withdrawal process regardless of the date it was processed by the Enrollment Office.  

Failure to formally withdraw may result in the student receiving all “F” grades. Receiving all “F” grades will trigger an investigation to determine the last day of attendance (LDA) in an academically related activity. This LDA will be used in configuring what portion of grant aid was earned or unused. 

The responsibility to repay unearned aid is shared by KBOCC and the student. The Financial Aid Office will configure earned aid through financial aid administrator access to CPS Online (the Department of Education’s Central Processing System) and report earned aid to the Department of Education’s Common Origination and Disbursement System (COD) within 30 days of receiving grades. The Bursar will then adjust any unearned portion through KBOCC’s account on G5 (the U.S. Department of Education’s grant management system) within 15 days. Unearned aid is the responsibility of the student. Students required to return unearned grant monies should contact the Business Office to arrange repayment. 



The Financial Aid Director has the authority to adjust a student’s eligibility using professional judgment for special or unusual family or student circumstances. These circumstances may affect the expected family contribution (EFC) and must be documented. The Financial Aid Director analyzes each circumstance requiring professional judgment decisions on a case-by-case basis. 

Professional judgment decisions may be made to adjust eligibility for all institutional, Title IV, and campus-based aid. Documentation supporting special circumstances must be maintained in the student's financial aid file.


Student circumstances, that may warrant a professional judgment decision include, but are not limited to: 

  1. Cancellation of parental contribution due to an abusive or an estranged relationship
  2. Cancellation of parental contribution due to parental abandonment of the student
  3. A loss or change in income to the independent student or dependent student family
  4. Extensive out of pocket medical expenses to an independent student or dependent student family


Because professional judgment situations are unique, the Financial Aid Director must determine the specific documentation needed to support the decision.  

  1. Documentation should substantiate the student's situation.
  2. Typically, documentation should be from a professional outside the family and not a family member.
  3. Documentation from more than one person should be collected to document a student's life situation. 

The Financial Aid Director reserves the right to deny any request for a dependency override or income reduction.



Student Eligibility and Selection 

To be eligible for consideration for Federal Work Study (FWS), students must: 

1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) 

2. Answer “yes” to the “are you interested in work study” question on the FAFSA 

3. Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits during the Fall or Spring semester 

4. Demonstrate financial need 

5. Complete all KBOCC FWS and applicable Human Resources paperwork  

6. Consent to and pass a background check (and physical if applicable) 

7. Obtain and submit clearance from DHS regarding person-centered crimes (if applicable) 


1. Student eligibility (above) will be verified by the Financial Aid Office 

2. Students will be contacted for job placement in order of need 

3. Students with completed files will be given first consideration 

4. Best efforts will be made to match student program type until positions are filled 

5. Supervisors will have access to completed files to ensure the students have the necessary skills to perform the job (they also have the right to reject a student if not qualified)

Previous Federal Work Study Students 

In order to extend limited FWS funds to as many students as possible, previous FWS awardees will be placed at the end of the priority list.



Before a FWS job can be assigned to a student, two conditions must be met: 

Eligible employers have approved work-study agreements  

Both on-campus and off-campus work study employers must have Off/On Campus Agreements approved and up-to-date prior to placement, so that all parties know what is expected of them. The agreement sets forth FWS work conditions and indicates what the institution and employer shall pay the students. These agreements are stored and can be viewed in the Student Services Assistant’s office

Employment must be able to fall into one of the following categories: 

  • Community Service – Services identified to improve the quality of life for the campus, community, and the environment, through local nonprofit, governmental, and community-based organizations. These services include but are not limited to: health care, child care, literacy training, educational support services, social services, public safety, transportation, and campus/ community/environmental improvement
  • FWS Students as Tutors - Activities in which a student serves as a mentor for supporting educational and recreational activities, may not have to work directly with students. Services may include, but are not limited to educational tutorial services, peer guidance counseling, assisting an instructor with curriculum-related activities, and transportation. 
  • Family Literacy – Services designed to increase knowledge or skills. Services include but are not limited to library services or learning support for computer literacy, emotional literacy, or cultural literacy

Employment Conditions and Limitations 

Regardless of the student's employer, the student's work must be governed by employment conditions, including pay, that are appropriate and reasonable in terms of  

  • Type of work
  • Geographical region
  • Employee proficiency; and
  • Any applicable Federal, State, Tribal, or local law

Federal Work Study employment may not:  

  1. Impair existing service contracts
  2. Displace employees
  3. Fill jobs that are vacant because the employer's regular employees are on strike
  4. Involve the construction, operation, or maintenance of any part of a facility used or to be used for religious worship or sectarian instruction; or
  5. Include employment for the U.S. Department of Education

Academic Credit and Work-Study 

A student may be employed under the FWS program and also receive academic credit for the work performed. Those jobs include, but are not limited to, work performed when the student is: 

  1. Enrolled in an internship
  2. Enrolled in a practicum; or
  3. Employed in the research, teaching, or other assistantship

A student employed in an FWS job and receiving academic credit for that job may not be:  

  1. Paid less than he or she would be if academic credit were not received.
  2. Paid for receiving instruction in a classroom, laboratory, or other academic setting; and 
  3. Paid unless the employer would normally pay the person for the same position 

Work-Study Opportunities  
Whenever possible, attempts will be made to place students in work locations that best match their programs. FWS students will also be given a list of possible work locations to select from. If chosen by the employer the student will then be referred to the office for an interview. Example placements include but are not limited to:

  • Early Childhood Education: Pre-Primary, OCC Childcare Center, BHK Great Explorations
  • Liberal Studies: KBIC Youth, tutors, Library Aide, KBOCC Computer Lab Assistant
  • Anishinaabe Studies: Cultural Committee, KBOCC Anishinaabe Programs & Studies
  • Environmental Science: KBIC Natural Resources, KBIC Forestry, KBOCC Laboratory Aide
  • Business: KBOCC Student Services, KBIC Economic Development, KBOCC Entrepreneurial Center


Students who have problems in work-study employment situations should seek to solve the problems with their supervisors. If needed, they must also contact the Financial Aid Office and Student Services Assistant to attempt to find a mutually satisfying resolution. Whether a change is sought because of problems or in pursuit of a preferred assignment, re-assignment will be made if available but is not guaranteed.

Termination and Suspension:

Students must follow their work placement’s policies regarding conduct and discipline. Students who have been terminated or suspended from their workplace will not be re-assigned unless an appeal was made and granted by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee.






To maintain their eligibility for federal financial aid, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Satisfactory academic progress is based on attempted credits, which include all credits enrolled in at the end of the drop-add period, and course grades. Progress will be monitored each semester and has two components:

1) Satisfactory grade point average, as described below:

Number of Credits Attempted 

Minimum Cumulative GPA 



15- 29 




45 or more  



2) Satisfactory degree progress, which means successfully completing 67% of credits attempted. 

3) Calculating your SAP use your transcript find on your student portal:

Earned _ # Credits
Divided by
Attempted _ # Credits Failed, Withdrew, Incomplete # Credits
= must be equal or higher to 67% based on our policies allowance
When your SAP is near being low, a student will receive a warning at the beginning of the semester. If your SAP is below 67% then you are placed on Probation, see the probation details below. If you have a continued 
When your SAP is near being low, a student will receive a warning at the beginning of the semester. If your SAP is below 67% then you are placed on Probation, see the probation details below. If you have a continued 

Failure to meet satisfactory academic progress standards for one semester will result in financial aid probation. Students on financial aid probation are eligible for Federal Student Aid.  

Probation Details

Failure to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards during a semester on financial aid probation will result in financial aid suspension. Students on financial aid suspension are NOT eligible for Federal Student Aid.

Suspension Details

Reinstatement of Federal Student Aid may occur when a suspended student:

  1. Has completed enough credits to achieve satisfactory academic progress using alternative funding.  
  2. Who has also been academically suspended successfully petition for readmission to the Faculty Council and then for reinstatement to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee (FAAC). These requests must be made in writing accompanied with an Academic Plan. Proof of readmission by the Faculty Council and a copy of the Academic Plan must be submitted to the FAAC before consideration. 
  3. Who has not been academically suspended and has taken a semester or more off from college or attended college elsewhere petitions the FAAC for reinstatement. Reinstatement requests along with college transcripts, if applicable, and an Academic Plan must be submitted to the FAAC before consideration. 
  4. Petitions for immediate reinstatement based on extenuating circumstances. Petitions explaining the circumstances must be made in writing and submitted to the FAAC along with an Academic Plan before consideration.

*An Academic Plan is a contract created between a student and advisor outlining the steps the student plans to take to improve academic performance. 

*Any student reinstated based on an academic plan must complete the plan without any W, F, or I grades and attain a satisfactory GPA during the semester reinstated in order to continue Federal Student Aid eligibility.  

Students may be required to supply additional information before a decision is made on their readmission or reinstatement petitions. Students who are readmitted or reinstated without achieving satisfactory academic progress will be on probation status. Petition denials will include an explanation, steps for students to take, and the length of time before students may re-petition. 





In the event an issue should arise against the Financial Aid Office, a written complaint addressed to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee (FAAC) must be submitted to the Enrollment Office within ten business days. An appropriate complaint about this procedure is dissatisfaction with the interpretation or application of policy. The FAAC will review the cause of the complaint and surrounding circumstances within five business days, and if warranted, the FAAC will forward the complaint to the President for further action as per KBOCC policy. The student will be notified by the FAAC, in writing, regarding the resolution of the issue. 


  1. Students with problems or concerns about financial aid issues should seek to resolve the issue with the Financial Aid Director as soon as possible.  

  1. If the issue remains unresolved the student must present a grievance in writing to the Financial Aid Director within two weeks of occurrence (10 business days). The Financial Aid Director will respond within five business days after the grievance is presented.  

  1. If the issue cannot be resolved between a student and the Financial Aid Director, the student may request that the matter be referred to the Dean of Student Services. Grievances presented to the Dean of Student Services must be clearly stated in writing and should be submitted prior to the end of the semester in which the issue arose. The Dean of Student Services will respond within five days after the grievance is presented.  

  1. Students can appeal to the Dean of Student Services’ decision to the President. The President’s decision will be final. 






Incomplete Grades 

If an Incomplete grade (I) was granted, the course will not affect SAP until the end of the contract date, which will be no longer than the end of the following semester. No extensions will be granted. 

Withdrawal - What is Withdrawal?
Dropping a class after the drop/add period has ended is considered a Withdrawal.

Withdrawal from a Course(s) after the Drop/Add Deadline on the published Academic Calendar

Dropping a class after the drop/add period has ended is considered a Withdrawal. Students may withdraw from classes after the first week and before the final week of the semester by completing a Withdrawal form, having it signed by the instructor of the course and their advisors, and submitting it to the Register's Office. Courses from which students have withdrawn will appear on their grade reports and transcripts with a “W” grade and are included in the total of attempted credits.  

Tuition and fees are assessed on the number of credits for which students are enrolled on the census date, which is the end of the second week (your first disbursement date) of the Fall and Spring semesters. Withdrawing from a course after this date will not result in a tuition reduction and may result in having to pay back funds. Withdrawing from a course will affect satisfactory degree progress. Make sure to contact your advisor before the withdrawal deadline to discuss your withdrawal further, because after the deadline could result in paying back funds see below.

Withdrawal from a Course(s) after the Withdraw Deadline on the published Academic Calendar

Dropping a class after the drop/add period has ended is considered a Withdrawal. Federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid to apply a formula established by the U.S. Department of Education, titled R2T4, to determine the amount of federal financial aid a student has earned as of the student’s withdrawal date. The amount of federal financial aid returned to federal aid programs is determined by the amount of time a student spends in an academically related activity. After 60% of the term has passed students have earned 100% of the federal financial aid disbursed to them. The 60% of a term mark is the second disbursement date which is also on the published Academic Calendar.

Students withdrawing from any course(s) in the term prior to the completion of 60% of the quarter/semester may find that funds are owed to the university as a result of the R2T4, returning funds.

Students who stop engaging in academically related activities during the term, without officially withdrawing from the courses, are subject to the R2T4 calculation. In such cases, the last date of academically related activity, as determined by the university, is used as the withdrawal date for the term. Other enrollment changes that may trigger an R2T4, returning funds:

  •  Withdrawal to zero credits.
  • For consecutive enrollment within a term, withdrawal from an earlier course with no confirmation of return in a later course.
  • For consecutive enrollment within a term, dropping, not attending, or withdrawing from a later course, even after the completion of an earlier course.
  • For consecutive enrollment, failure to participate in more than 60% of the term along with the failure to earn a passing grade in the last course in the term.
  • Failure to participate in more than 60% of the term along with failure to earn a passing grade in all courses attempted in the term.
  • Prior to withdrawing, students should contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine the amount of federal aid that must be returned. Federal student aid may not cover all unpaid charges due to the university upon the student’s withdrawal.

To All Financial Aid Recipients: Financial Aid Recipients are encouraged to speak with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from a class as this can affect current and/or future financial aid eligibility. 

Making the decision to Withdraw: First, always speak with your advisor for making sure you don't need a higher GPA for future continuing education or future aid or career opportunities. 
Next, is contacting the FA Office which is great you are doing so. You did receive the PELL award, but as long as you participated in the class or classes you're considering dropping for more than 60% of the semester you won't have to pay back funds. 
Taking a W, however, will affect your satisfactory academic progress (SAP) which accounts for your attempted course in ratio to your passed/completed courses. If your SAP goes below our accepted allowance of 67%, you will be subject to financial aid probation or suspension from Pell, FSEOG, and work-study funds. 
Calculating your SAP - use your transcript find on your student portal:
Earned _ # Credits
Divided by
Attempted _ # Credits Failed, Withdrew, Incomplete # Credits
= must be equal or higher to 67% based on our policies allowance
When your SAP is near being low, a student will receive a warning at the beginning of the semester. If your SAP is below 67% then you are placed on Probation, see the probation details below. If you have a continued 
When your SAP is near being low, a student will receive a warning at the beginning of the semester. If your SAP is below 67% then you are placed on Probation, see the probation details below. If you have a continued 

Withdrawal from the College 

Students needing to withdraw from the College during the course of the semester should meet with the Dean of Student Services to complete the necessary withdrawal form. Failure to complete formal withdrawals may result in the students receiving “F” grades in all their courses. 

Students needing to withdraw from the College will have to return the unused portion of federal student aid as required by government guidelines. Receiving all “F’s” will trigger an investigation of whether funds were unused or earned. Withdrawing from the College will affect satisfactory degree progress. 

Administrative Withdrawal 

Administrative withdrawal is the termination of a student’s enrollment in a course by the College. It is used to assist students who are seriously ill or otherwise unable to carry out a normal withdrawal, for nonpayment of tuition and fees, or for disciplinary reasons. Student actions that might lead to administrative withdrawal include plagiarism, copying of another student’s work, or persistent disruption of classes, harassment, or violence.  

Administrative withdrawal is the termination of a student’s enrollment by the College. Students who are administratively withdrawn will have to return the unused portion of federal student aid according to government guidelines. Administrative withdrawals will also affect satisfactory degree progress. 

Registration Cancellation  

Students who do not attend classes during the first week of a course will have their registration canceled. Students who are unable to attend in the first week due to an emergency may maintain their enrollment by notifying the Dean of Student Services, providing documentation of the emergency, and verifying attendance at the first possible class session. When a course registration is canceled, no financial aid will be awarded for that course, and no attempted credits will be recorded. 

Adding or Dropping Courses 

Financial aid will be based on students’ enrollment as of the census date. Adding or dropping a course within the drop/add period may create modifications to students’ estimated financial aid award. Dropped courses are not counted as attempted credits and do not appear on transcripts. 

Course Audit 

Students auditing a course will not be eligible for Federal Student Aid. 

Repeated Courses 

Financial aid will assist students to repeat a course one time providing that the previous grade was below a “C”. Credits for any course can be counted as progress toward the degree only once. Consequently, repeated courses only count as progress toward degree when the first grade was failing.  

Additional Degrees 

Students seeking an additional associate degree will be eligible for federal funding provided that the student has not yet obtained a higher degree. Federal funding at the associate’s level will not exceed two associate degrees. 

Remedial Courses 

Courses numbered 000-100 cannot exceed 50% of coursework per semester to be eligible for federal student aid. 

Transfer Credits 

Credits transferred from other institutions will be calculated toward satisfactory degree progress. However, grades are not transferred and do not affect GPA.

Helpful Resources

How to File




First Time Applicants


Apply for benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs:


  • New applicants under VA Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 1606, 1607 VA Application Form (VA 22-1990) or online using the EBENEFITS or VETS.GOV website
  • New applicants under VA Chapter 35 VA Application Form (VA 22-5490)


Paperwork needed by the VA Certifying Official:

  • Copy of Certificate of Eligibility issued from the VA once eligibility has been determined


Adding or Changing Degree Program/Change in Place of Training


Students who wish to change their degree program or place of training must notify the VA.

  • Applicants under VA Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607 VA Request For Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-1995) or through the VETS.GOV website.
  • Applicants under VA Chapter 35 VA Request For Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-5495).


Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and DD214 forms can be sent to:


Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College


Bursar/Registrar's Office


770 N. Main St.


Attn: Michelle Bianco


L'Anse, MI  49946


Email: Bursar@kbocc.edu


VA Chapters



Chapter 30—Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty)

Chapter 33—Post 9/11 GI Bill

Chapter 1606—Montgomery GI Bill (Selected Reserve)

Chapter 1607—Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Chapter 31—Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor:

Sarah L. Gagnon, MA, CRC
VR&E Counselor
Department of Veteran Affairs
Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center
325 East H Street, Iron Mountain, MI 49801
Phone: 906-779-3984
Email: Sarah.Gagnon@va.gov

Chapter 35-- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

General Information




Schedule Changes


Schedule changes made during the semester resulting in a change of enrollment status must be reported to the VA Certifying Official, as this may create an over/underpayment situation.


If you are a Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) recipient, all changes in schedule must be reported to the VA Certifying Official to ensure that the accurate amount of tuition and fees are paid to the College on your behalf.


Overpayment of Benefits

If the VA determines there has been an overpayment of benefits, they will require that the overpayment is paid back to them directly by the student. Possible reasons for overpayment are:

  • Dropping a course during the semester resulting in a change of enrollment status.
  • Chapter 33 scheduling changes resulting in overpayment of tuition and fees by the VA.
  • Receiving a grade of W (withdrawal).
  • Receiving a grade of F if determined to be resulting from non-attendance in the course.


W Grades

The VA will not give credit for a course that results in a grade of W. Receiving a W can lead to an overpayment situation at the end of the semester.


Repeating a Course

Courses required for your degree that must be repeated due to a failing grade may be certified through the VA. Courses that are successfully completed (receiving a grade of D or higher) may not be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.


Filing Timelines

The Veterans Administration takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks to process your application. After your application has been submitted and processed, a check will be mailed to or deposited into your designated bank account. Future checks will arrive at the beginning of each month for the previous month. Questions concerning payment should be directed to the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551.


Direct Deposit

Direct deposit is available for Post 9/11 GI Bill, MGIB-Active Duty, Selected Reserve and Chapter 35 recipients. For more information, please contact the VA Direct Deposit Center at 1-877-838-2778 or speak with an Education Case Manager at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551). You can also visit the WAVE application website or EBENEFITS to sign up for direct deposit.


Address Changes

Address changes must be reported promptly to the VA and to Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College's Certifying Official. Address changes can be reported to the VA using a form 20-572 or by visiting the WAVE website. A delay in reporting a change may result in payment being sent to an incorrect address or a delay in payment.

KBOCC Institutional Scholarships

Schedule a Meeting



In-Office or by Zoom (Online), based on the student's preferences.

Schedule a meeting by email financialaid@kbocc.edu or calling 906-524-8109.

My Office Hours are as follows:

Mon.  8:00 - 4:30 p.m.

Tues. 8:00 - 4:30 p.m.

Wed. 8:00 - 4:30 p.m.  

Thu.  8:00 - 4:30 p.m.

Fri.    8:00 - 4:30 p.m.

Reasons for scheduling a meeting:

  • Filling out the FAFSA
  • Assistance with a scholarship
  • Questions about any financial aid
  • Questions or help with your financial status
  • Verification Process
  • Help with Anything!


KBOCC Institution Internal Scholarships


  • The student fills the Application sends to Tribal Education Office.
  • Then the Tribal Education Office fills out their portion and sends the application to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights
  • Michigan Department sends a verification letter to me in the KBOCC Financial Aid Office with a Verification Email of you, the Student, then I process and award.

Open both links below in separate windows. If you live with your parents, you may need a parent nearby for a few questions.

The Hemlock (gaagaaimizh) is a strong and slow-growing tree in northern Michigan forests that provides food and shelter for wildlife and medicines for humans. With these life-giving features in mind, the Hemlock Scholarship was created to provide assistance to Environmental Science Majors facing limited financial options. this scholarship is need-based, aimed at students who

  • Have reached the limit of Federal Financial Aid
  • Qualify for few other scholarships
  • Are in the process of re-gaining Federal Financial Aid eligibility
  • Have any other financial hardships that could impact college success


  • Copy of unofficial transcript (if you are a new incoming freshman, send a copy of high school transcript)
  • An essay (500 words maximum) explaining why you should be considered for this scholarship. Discuss any financial hardships as well as the positive impact of your college experience and your future plans upon completing an Environmental Science degree.
  • Must complete an application and submit required documents

The Dr. Madurai G. Ganesan scholarship was established at Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College to empower and encourage students with a financial need to sincerely pursue their academic goals. Education played a pivotal role in Dr. Ganesan's life, as he was the first in his family to go to college. Regardless of the circumstances, he worked hard to obtain a doctorate degree. This scholarship's intent is to reward a student who recognizes the value education has in advancing their goals.


  • Registered as a full-time KBOCC student
  • Preference for a student enrolled or a dependent of a federally recognized Indian Tribe
  • Has Financial need
  • Maintained a 2.5 GPA in the prior semester 
  • An essay (1,000 words maximum) describing your career goals, community involvement, and how your education will impact your life 
  • Can pursue any major
  • Copy of unofficial transcript (if you are a new incoming freshman, send a copy of high school transcript)

KBIC Tribal Members, Tribal Descendants, and children of KBOCC or KBIC employees may be eligible for a scholarship to cover their cost of tuition for one course. To be considered for this scholarship, the student must have no other means of financial aid. Students must re-apply each semester in order to receive funding for each current semester attended. 


  • Must fill out the 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Must complete an application and required documents
  • Must be an enrolled member or tribal descendant of the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community (KBIC) OR a child of KBOCC OR KBIC employee

KBOCC students deemed ineligible for other sources of Financial Aid may qualify for this scholarship. The scholarship covers tuition cost for one course per semester. To be considered, Eligible students must submit an elder scholarship application and provide proof of age (student must be 62 or more years of age). Student award amounts are determined by the college. 

Students must re-apply each semester. The scholarship covers tuition for one course only it does not provide for the books or fees.


  • Must be 62 years or more years of age

This scholarship was created in memory of a dear friend who dedicated a substantial number of years serving as Chairman of the Board of Regents for the Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College. This competition-based scholarship will be awarded to one outstanding student recognizing their creative, outstanding, and positive impact on the community and commitment to excellence.



  • Must be registered as a full-time KBOCC student
  • Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA
  • Must have demonstrated community involvement
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • An essay (1,000 words maximum) describing your career goals, community involvement, and how your education will impact the community
  • Copy of unofficial transcript (if you are a new incoming freshman, send a copy of high school transcript)
  • Must complete an application and submit required documents


Drs. Linda and James Belote and children Karen and David established the Belote Family Scholarship in 2020. The Belote family has benefited greatly through pursuing their educational goal, made possible through partial scholarships. They wish to share this opportunity with others. The Belote Family believes that women of various cultural and ethnic backgrounds often face great obstacles to the fulfillment of their educational aspirations. Since assistance for indigenous women has been limited, the Belote Family elected to use this fund to assist one American Indian women who has shown her desire and ability to pursue a worthwhile academic endeavor but may hinder due to financial constraints. This scholarship was established to help these worthy students gain knowledge and wisdom which they will use, in turn, to help others.

The sponsors of the scholarship will be given the name of the recipient and may contact you.


  • Native American Women; descendants are welcome to apply
  • Has Financial need
  • Maintains a minimum GPA of 2.5
  • Can pursue any major

KBOCC Work Study




Work Study

A part-time job that helps you earn money to pay for your education.  

To be eligible for consideration for Federal Work Study (FWS), students must:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Answer “yes” to the “are you interested in work study” question on the FAFSA
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits during the Fall or Spring semester
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Complete all KBOCC FWS and applicable Human Resources paperwork
  • Consent to and pass a background check (and physical if applicable)
  • Obtain and submit clearance from DHS regarding person-centered crimes (if applicable)

All positions open until filled!

Online KBOCC Work Study Student Employment Application



  • One dedicated project or smaller weekly projects based on supervisors needs anything from:
    • Marketing tools need such as flyer making, creative posts, videos, editing, social media, brochures, menus, website help, signage, calendars, power points, surveys, presentations, photography, art etc.
    • Business Strategies assisting with planning, agendas, timelines, strategies, or toolkits
    • Office Assistance toward scheduling zoom meetings, editing zoom recording, manage a contact list, prepare spreadsheets, and keep online records, perform research toward recruiting or specific study, etc.
  • Set up and attend Zoom Meetings - weekly one on one check-in with supervisor, create presentations, appointment booking, file management, meeting minutes, photography
  • Set up and attend Zoom Group Meetings with possible formed student or staff committees
  • Monthly Report of your top accomplishments
  • Timesheet record keeping


*You may not receive both, work-study and unemployment. A newly hired student must still complete a background check.
If interested in applying please fill out the attached application, cover letter, resume, letter of recommendation and background check. The application is online but the cover letter, resume, and letter of recommendation must be sent to HR, Jody Joki HR@kbocc.edu or until positions are filled.


National Native Student Opportunities



Resource Board 

Who needs to be in the building when we have, Our Virtual Bulletin Board, check her for annual student scholarships, research experience, and internships. Below are scholarships students here at KBOCC have received before! Make sure to mark your calendars and apply ASAP! 

This board replicates the physical board I have outside my office!

KBOCC Work Study


Work Study

A part-time job that helps you earn money to pay for your education.  

To be eligible for consideration for Federal Work Study (FWS), students must:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Answer “yes” to the “are you interested in work study” question on the FAFSA
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits during the Fall or Spring semester
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Complete all KBOCC FWS and applicable Human Resources paperwork
  • Consent to and pass a background check (and physical if applicable)
  • Obtain and submit clearance from DHS regarding person-centered crimes (if applicable)

APPLY by email, submit the student application, and resume to financialaid@kbocc.edu.