FREE Tuition Programs 

    • Exercise the tangible result of your treaty rights.

      To be eligible for the MITW, you must meet the following criteria:

      • Qualify for admission at one of Michigan's public colleges or universities AND
      • Be ¼ or more Native American blood quantum as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department AND
      • Are an enrolled citizen of a U.S. Federally Recognized Tribe as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department AND
      • Be a legal resident of the state of Michigan for not less than 12 consecutive months. 
      • MITW can be used by any new, returning, high school, dually enrolled, and/or guest student for any education degree or certificate track that charges tuition for unlimited use. 

      • STUDENT SECTION: Student fills out their portion of the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) Application. FORM CLICK HERE.
        • New Student - Fill out this section if you have never applied for the MITW.
        • Current Student - Fill out this section if you already applied for the MITW and need to update anything.
      • DOCUMENTATION with your MITW application:
        • A photocopy of your Michigan Driver’s License or State-issued Michigan ID card AND
        • A photocopy of your Tribal ID.
      • TRIBAL EDUCATION OFFICE SECTION: Send the MITW application (and attached documentation) to your Tribal Enrollment Department for certification.
      • MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW UP WITH YOUR TRIBE: to ensure your application is complete and handed into the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.
    • Waivers are for any credit, any degree track, certificate, and/or program. There is no limit on how many times you use.
    • There is no deadline, however, you must use the waiver in the semester your enrolled.
    • For more information view the Michigan Department of Civil Rights website
    • Review their Frequently Asked Questions document.

Frontliners for Future 

  • Futures for Frontliners is a scholarship program that pays for you to attend your local community college tuition-free. 
    • Who Is Eligible For Futures For Frontliners?
    • Applicants must:
      • Be a Michigan resident
      • Have a high school diploma or equivalent (ex: GED)
      • Have worked in an essential industry at least part-time for 11 of the 13 weeks between April 1 – June 30, 2020
      • Have been required by their job to work outside the home at least some of the time between April 1 – June 30, 2020*
      • Not have previously earned an associate or bachelor's degree
      • Not be in default on a Federal student loan
      • Complete a Futures for Frontliners scholarship application by 11:59 pm on December 31, 2020
      • * If you are a home-based child care provider and meet the other eligibility criteria, you are still eligible. Read more in our child care FAQ
      • Still, have a question? Check out the FAQs or call the Customer Care Center at 517-636-7000.

Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

  • The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) encourages eligible Medicaid recipients to complete high school by providing tuition assistance during an eligible student’s qualifying certificate or associate degree program and also during the student’s bachelor’s degree program.
  • These two periods of assistance are referred to as ‘Phase I’ and ‘Phase II'.
  • TIP Fact Sheet
    • Eligibility
      • Student must have (or have had) Medicaid coverage for 24 months within a 36-consecutive month period between the ages of nine and high school graduation.
      • Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
      • Obtain a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent prior to age 20.
        • Students who attend a state-approved Early/Middle College have until age 21 to graduate and complete a TIP application.
      • Begin using TIP at a participating institution within four years of high school completion.
      • Be a Michigan resident as determined by institutional criteria.
      • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or approved refugee.
      • Not be in default on a Federal student loan.
      • Be enrolled at least half-time.
      • For renewal, must meet institution’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.
    • Note: The first institution listed on the FAFSA will be considered the priority school. Students are responsible for notifying MI Student Aid of a change in their college choice. This can be done through the MiSSG Student Portal or by calling 1-888-447-2687.